For starters, Republicans have been against these things for decades, and whenever they've had the power, they've done their best to either curtail them, repeal them, or run them so poorly that they are no longer effective.
Originally Posted by countryboy
Here are a few examples of the intent of Republicans:
1) Republicans proposed the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, and won.
2) Ronald Reagan made a campaign promise to abolish the Department of Education.
3) Abolishing the Department of Education was part of the Republican Party platform during Bob Dole's presidential campaign.
4) Republicans have had their eye on Medicare for years, seeing money for Medicare as money they could give away in tax cuts.
5) Republicans have led the drive to privatize both Medicare and Social Security.
6) Republicans oppose raises to the minimum wage at virtually every turn (though they usually end up supporting it).
7) Republican John Raese of West Virginia would like to abolish the minimum wage.
All you have to do is look at history to see that what I said is self evident. Sure they may not carry out all of their threats, but it is their intent.
You want to talk about "killing" grandma, then talk about Republicans wanting to take away her Social Security and Medicare.