Visit the Archives for U.S. Politics Online -- U.S. Politics Online . net
On the territory of modern Turkey, the population once consisted of almost 100% Christians. In 1914 Christians constituted 25% of the population. Today, only 0,2 % of the Turkish population are Christians. 100.000 Christians live in Turkey, thereof 85 % in Instanbul. In Turkey, the christianity is persecuted for 1000 years. But there also have been massive persecutions during the last 150 years.
At least 10.000 Christian Armenians and Nestorians were massacred.
50.000 - 80.000 Christian Armenians were massacred.
30.000 Christian Armenians were massacred. The following epidemics killed further 20.000 Christian Armenians.
60.000 and 400.000 Flüchtlinge Bulgarien Christians were cast out.
300.000 - 1.500.000 Christian Armenians were massacred. Hundred of thousends were deported. Less then 100.000 Christian Armenians lifed in Turkey after that.
1.250.000 Greek Orthodox Christians were exchanged with 500.000 Muslims from Greece.
Tens of thousands of Christians were murdered after the conquest of the Greek territory or at the expulsions.
62.000 of 110.000 Greek Orthodox Christians left Turkey after a progrom.
- It is forbidden to train Christian priests and religious teachers
- Priets must identify themselves as either diplomats or Turkish.
- Bibles and other Christian literature may not be distributed.
- Christian street festivals and processions are forbidden.
- Christian radio stations get no license.
- It is almost impossible to build a Church.
Known happenings of the last years:
- On 11 March 2006, the Capuchin Henry Leylek was attacked in Mersin by a young man with a knife-
- In 2006, the Italian priest Andrea Santoro was shot by a young Turkish man during the prayer in the church of Trabzon .
- On 18 April 2007, three Protestant Christians in Malatya were tortured and cruelly murdered for their faith. One of them was the German English-teacher Tilmann Geske.
- On 3 June 2010, the chairman of the Turkish bishops conference, Luigi Padovese, was stabbed to death by his Muslim driver.
Foreigners in Turkey:
- No foreigner has a permanent residence permit.
- 50 occupations are for Turks only, like lawyer, taxi driver and coiffeur.
- Foreigners are marked by license tags with "M" from 99 MA 999 to 99 MZ 999: