I have several issues with this on many levels and on either side of the issue.
1. I think it's in the same category as snake handling where the individuals are concerned. It will be dangerous to them for sure. Will it be dangerous to me because I leave my Quran on the shelf for future reading? If it is then we have bigger issues than this. Will it be dangerous to me because I leave my Bible on the shelf for future reading? Again....bigger issues.
2. But wait, what they are doing is NOT illegal, so why all the hype? There are many things and people who never get their well deserved 15 minutes of fame, so why these people?
3. Let's just say we shut up everyone who opposes a mosque where zoning is already in place; and let's just say that we shut these people up; and let's ignore the brutal practice of female circumcision, because it is illegal you know, and because it's illegal they would never violate our laws and not do it. Let's just say we PC ourselves to death and they undeservedly get affirmative action just like our own blacks deservedly did. Then what? How long will it be until we are oppressed, starting with women first?
4. When did keeping our mouths shut and giving up our rights become a military strategy? I think Patraeus may be right, but he is foolish to suggest that we are in such a bad position strategically that we have to give up our rights on the home front. He is supposed to be fighting for our rights. WTF is it with him? We have already given up a lot. There are many people, particularly in my generation of Vietnam protestors who would have protested the Iraq war, but didn't 'for the boys.' Hell, Bush even got elected 'for the boys.' His popularity rating was so low as to have made it impossible for him to win a second term, but he did and it was 'for the boys.' If 'the boys' can't do their job because of something like this, they need to come on home. But I said that.
5. Wasn't the Patriot Act enough? They watch our every move. Now we all have to keep our mouths shut too. Geeze!
They need to let these fools be and the PRESS needs to shut up about it. THE PRESS should never have blown this up the way they have. It just isn't that newsworthy. I mean next somebody will have an issue with those foot washing Baptists down the road or that Pentecostal church I pass every day with the sign that says "God's anger has arose." Damn, I want to add a line that says 'Does it have a daisy too?' God what a radical thing to even think!