Visit the Archives for U.S. Politics Online -- U.S. Politics Online . net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Fox is most trusted name in news

Poll: Fox is most trusted name in news

ready....and a 1....2 and a 3...go- heads explode......NOW!!!!!!!!!

I would have put this in the just for fun section but hey, PPP was right on in the Brown election so...

Fox is the most trusted television news network in the country, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A Public Policy Polling nationwide survey of 1,151 registered voters Jan. 18-19 found that 49 percent of Americans trusted Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.

Thirty-seven percent said they didnít trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.

There was a strong partisan split among those who said they trusted Fox ó with 74 percent of Republicans saying they trusted the network, while only 30 percent of Democrats said they did.

CNN was the second-most-trusted network, getting the trust of 39 percent of those polled. Forty-one percent said they didnít trust CNN.

Each of the three major networks was trusted by less than 40 percent of those surveyed, with NBC ranking highest at 35 percent. Forty-four percent said they did not trust NBC, which was combined with its sister cable station MSNBC.

Read more: Poll: Fox is most trusted name in news - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Poll: Fox is most trusted name in news - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Re: Poll: Fox is most trusted name in news

Jeez, thanks Imperator. I just threw out the last drop cloth, what am I supposed to clean up the brains with?

It doesn't surprise me actually, although I find FOX to be extremely biased and even a conservative/GOP propaganda machine much like its counterpart, MSNBC for the progressives/Dems. Part of the FOX bias and propaganda nature has been its longstanding endless poundings and claims that basically all the other cable news agencies but itself are biased and can't be trusted and it's the only fair one. That's good for both its profit and propaganda purposes. That's long been a political talking point of many of the AM radio types who now also dominate its talk show regimes too where it has likewise been good for their profit and propaganda purposes.

IMO, a public poll result like that has three reasons for existence either standing on their own or in fusion with each other. The first is that a percentage of the population is partisan conservative. Thus, such people are far more apt to repeat the claim for political purposes. The second is personal bias. One tends to agree and disagree with things that others say that they already likewise do. Third, argumentum ad nauseam (endless repetition of a claim) is one of the most popular and effective fallacy tactics employed by the speaker(s) in order to persuade people directly or subtly that their claim is either true or must at least be somewhat or generally true or else it wouldn't be repeated so much and so fervently.

What??? Republicans trust Faux News?

The shock!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Sullivan Bere View Post
    It doesn't surprise me actually, although I find FOX to be extremely biased and even a conservative/GOP propaganda machine much like its counterpart, MSNBC for the progressives/Dems. Part of the FOX bias and propaganda nature has been its longstanding endless poundings and claims that basically all the other cable news agencies but itself are biased and can't be trusted and it's the only fair one. That's good for both its profit and propaganda purposes. That's long been a political talking point of many of the AM radio types who now also dominate its talk show regimes too where it has likewise been good for their profit and propaganda purposes.

IMO, a public poll result like that has three reasons for existence either standing on their own or in fusion with each other. The first is that a percentage of the population is partisan conservative. Thus, such people are far more apt to repeat the claim for political purposes. The second is personal bias. One tends to agree and disagree with things that others say that they already likewise do. Third, argumentum ad nauseam (endless repetition of a claim) is one of the most popular and effective fallacy tactics employed by the speaker(s) in order to persuade people directly or subtly that their claim is either true or must at least be somewhat or generally true or else it wouldn't be repeated so much and so fervently.
    sooo.. the masses have been brainwashed/duped subliminally/rinse wash repeated by fox into thinking they in fact are fair and balanced...?

Obviously.
    What are you working for?
    The most important of the Lord's work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes. - Harold B Lee

I trust Fox News to bias whatever they're reporting with conservative spin. Therefore they are trustworthy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    sooo.. the masses have been brainwashed/duped subliminally/rinse wash repeated by fox into thinking they in fact are fair and balanced...?
    That's only part of what I said, but yes, argumentum ad nauseam claims by FOX that it's the only 'fair and balanced' network are very effective for those who have bought into that. It's well known that there are loads of people who are easily persuaded by that tactic, and especially so if it appeals to built-in biases they have.

This is a two-edged sword. I can say every single thing, that you just did, about any of the other MSMs. It has no bearing on the poll because it could go in the favor of CNN or MSNBC (the station you directly compared Fox to).

The only (possible) inferred point I can see, in this post is that you are saying that the majority are conservative, in which case, the agenda of the current admin are not what the majority of Americans want.
    "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes (admits his philosophy is not viable)

That's only part of what I said, but yes, argumentum ad nauseam claims by FOX that it's the only 'fair and balanced' network are very effective for those who have bought into that. It's well known that there are loads of people who are easily persuaded by that tactic, and especially so if it appeals to built-in biases they have.
    I suppose you're right. So how IS that hope and change working out for you?
    I'm sick and tired of my brothers and sisters dying to preserve America's right to drive like assholes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie S. View Post
    I suppose you're right. So how IS that hope and change working out for you?
    O'Sullivan isn't a cheerleader. He has liberal leanings but he is his own thinker and what I might classify as more of classical liberal. I know for sure that he didn't buy into the "hope and change" mantra.
    "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes (admits his philosophy is not viable)

Between Jan. 18-24 Fox News was the number one cable network in primetime. CNN was 22nd and MSNBC 25th.

Fox News Finishes Week #1 in All of Primetime Cable - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

Without question, FOX News is definitely a Conservative news channel. I watch it, but not all the time, because it annoys me when the commentators speak above one another or argue with their guests. Gets ridiculous. Plus I like to get all the different perspectives of various news channels, even if they have liberal leanings, so that I can get a better picture.

But I have to give them credit. They aren't held captive to political correctness, like CNN. When the Ft. Hood shootings took place, CNN was initially passing it off as "work place violence" due to PTSD. Freakin' sickened me and made me change the channel.

Fox news most trusted news channel, says poll

Fox most trusted news channel in US, poll shows | World news | guardian.co.uk

*facepalm*

i understand the other networks' trustworthiness being so low, but how can people really be so dense to believe that fox news is any better?

i guess the results of the poll make sense given fox's higher ratings. i imagine that if there's more people watching a "news" channel it's likely that more people are going to trust the "news" it puts out.
    "My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine

Threads merged.